Green smoothies. It’s what for breakfast, or lunch, or as a snack. If you’re looking for a little variety when it comes to your fruit and vegetable routine, consider a green smoothie. Using foods like avocado, spinach, kale, basil, and more, green smoothies deliver a lot of good stuff like potassium, magnesium, the carotenoids lutein and beta carotene. The smoothies are a beautiful vibrant emerald colour, perfect for St Patrick’s Day but really, who wouldn’t want to enjoy these from time to time year round?
Lean n' Green Spinach Avocado Smoothie
- Half a ripe avocado halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1/2 cup low-sugar vanilla yogurt
- 3/4 cup milk can be substituted with brown rice, almond or soy milk
- 3 tsp honey
- Combine avocado, spinach, yogurt and honey into a blender.
- Blend, slowly adding in the milk until desired consistency is reached.
- Reserve enough ingredients to make a second shake.
- Repeat steps 1-2.
Let your avocado shake sit for 10 to 15 minutes in the fridge. The buttery, avocado flavour will become more pronounced resulting in a tastier shake.
Photo credit: mary (anemone, honey)
Source: The Flirty Foodie website