Ugh. My Gut is Killing Me!
‘How do I fix my bloating, gas, reflux, brain fog, and digestive problems?’
Gut & digestive health issues are challenging. Getting to the root cause, and not just managing symptoms should be the goal.
Whether it’s a functional disorder like IBS or reflux, a disease such as Celiac, IBD (Crohn’s or Ulcerative colitis), or problematic bloating, there’s a good chance SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), and the gut barrier dysfunction (a.k.a. “leaky gut”) that accompanies it, are involved.
I routinely have clients tell me they’ll ‘force’ themselves to go to the bathroom to avoid any awkward situations at work. Or carry little containers of different over-the-counter treatments for their symptoms like GasX, TUMS, and Beano.
Uncontrolled symptoms are no way to live. One-sized approaches, like simply following a low FODMAP diet for life or trying the latest supplements marketed for digestive health are not the solutions you need which is why you’re probably feeling like there’s no way out.
SIBO and leaky gut
SIBO is an overgrowth & accumulation of bacteria in the small intestine which interferes with your normal digestion and absorption of food and nutrients. It results in damage to the lining of your digestive tract resulting in gut irritation, inflammation, and increased permeability, a.k.a. leaky gut.
Food antigens (proteins), gut bacteria, viruses, and bacterial by-products (LPS toxin), can enter the bloodstream which can lead to inflammation and aggravation of symptoms, as well as, worsening autoimmune diseases.
This all leads to a potentially long list of symptoms.
- Post-prandial (after eating) bloating (usually extreme) specifically bloating up under the ribs
- Gas/flatulence and belching
- Brain fog
- Unintended weight loss
- Intestinal pains/cramping
- Diarrhea, constipation or both
- Depression and anxiety
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Weight loss
- Joint pain
SIBO risk factors
- Scarring/strictures in the digestive system
- Digestive tract structural abnormalities
- Low stomach acid (especially in the aging population)
- PPIs [Nexium, Pantaloc], acid reducers [Zantac], antacid use
- Frequent use of antibiotics or steroids
- High-stress lifestyle
- Motility problems
- Poor diet (high sugar, high carbohydrate)
- Enzyme & bile acid insufficiency/deficiencies
- Carbohydrate malabsorption/maldigestion
- Lactose, fructose, sugars, resistant starches
Conditions associated with SIBO
- Diabetes & pre-diabetes (insulin resistance)
- Liver or pancreas disease
- Celiac disease & IBS (30-80% have SIBO)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s and colitis)
- H. pylori infection
- Gallstones & gallbladder removal
- Compromised immunity (HIV, IgA deficiency, stress, functional deficiencies)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Short bowel syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Chronic constipation
- Overweight & obesity
Seeing a nutrition practitioner with experience in digestive and gut health, and SIBO, who also goes beyond just symptom management, is crucial to getting your gut issues under control, and on the road to healing. This is where integrative & functional nutrition can pick up the slack. Misinformation is everywhere.
Many practitioners take clients only partway leaving them frustrated and no better off or worse, feeling even crappier. I am a practitioner who looks at the big picture; this is essential. Dietary changes are important for symptom management but taking an integrative & functional approach to healing will help you get the resolution you’re seeking.
Your gut needs a comprehensive performance plan to overcome obstacles to health, address inflammation, support gut healing, digestion & absorption of nutrients while balancing your gut bacteria.
Work closely with Doug Cook RDN to start feeling better today – book an appointment below.
This service is right for you if:
- you struggle with gut-related symptoms which are affecting your daily life
- you no longer enjoy eating and/or are super restrictive with your food choices
- you’ve been bothered by your gut for a long time and are fed up
- you’ve tried to make changes yourself or been to other practitioners but are left wanting more
- you’ve been put on restrictive diets only to lose weight
- you’re ready to truly feel great and regain your health & gut freedom
Your first step to working with Doug on the path to healing is the Case Review. It includes a full assessment & evaluation to determine your current state of health. Doug will design a comprehensive performance plan to help you achieve your goals. Alternatively, you can start with a free 15-minute discovery call where you can speak to Doug directly and discuss your goals.
Consider adding genetic nutrition testing to the program for more personalized nutrition advice. AOR Canada’s groundbreaking My Blueprint is a DNA-based Nutrition and Lifestyle Report that uses cutting-edge technology to identify your unique genetic variations. The information in the test provides 84 SNPs, 65 genes, 41 Clinical endpoints, and 8 key health categories. Check out the My Blueprint_Sample Report to learn more and click on the image below to purchase this add-on product.
This 4-month program includes:
- A discussion and review of your case where we will prioritize a “plan of attack” to start addressing your gut issues.
- From there, I will create a personalized action plan that includes addressing any conditions that might be contributing to, and/or that’s aggravated any potetnial SIBO (IBS, diabetes, Celiac, autoimmune disease, etc).
- Implementation of treatment strategies that research has shown to be highly effective at treating SIBO, healing the gut, reducing permeability, improving gut-related symptoms, and reducing the risk for recurrence.
- Review of food & symptom journals, 3 support follow-up calls (about every 3 weeks), and email support throughout to help problem solve and to keep your healing on track.
- We will end with a discussion for your long term plan including considerations for follow-up and next steps.
Think you’re ready to take the next steps? Reflect on your health journey first with these questions:
Have questions before you book? Give me a shout for a ‘get to know/discovery’ call to discuss your goals.
Yes! I want to grab my free introductory call. Help me on the path to better health.