MY GUT IS KILLING ME!
Gut & digestive health issues are challenging. Getting to the root cause, and not just managing symptoms, should be the goal. Whether it’s a functional disorder like IBS or reflux, a disease such as Celiac, IBD (Crohn’s or colitis), or problematic bloating, there’s a good chance SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) and the gut barrier dysfunction (a.k.a. “leaky gut”) that accompanies it are involved.
Are your gut-related symptoms in control of you? Do you plan your meals and your schedule around the location of the nearest toiled? Are you looking for freedom from all of this?
Having a digestive issue is a real challenge. I routinely have clients tell me they’ll ‘force’ themselves to go to the bathroom to avoid any awkward situations at work. Or carry little containers of different over-the-counter treatments for their symptoms like GasX, TUMS, and Beano.
Uncontrolled symptoms are no way to live. One-sized approaches, like simply following a low FODMAP diet for life or trying the latest supplements marketed for digestive health are not the solutions you need which is why you’re probably feeling like there’s no way out.
SIBO and leaky gut
SIBO is an overgrowth & accumulation of bacteria in the small intestine which interferes with your normal digestion and absorption of food and nutrients. It results in damage to the lining of your digestive tract resulting in gut irritation, inflammation and increased permeability, a.k.a. leaky gut.
Food antigens (proteins), gut bacteria, viruses and bacterial by-products (LPS toxin), can enter the bloodstream which can lead to inflammation and aggravation of symptoms, as well as, autoimmune diseases.
This all leads to a potentially long list of symptoms.
- Post-prandial bloating (usually extreme) specifically bloating up under the ribs
- Gas/flatulence and belching
- Brain fog
- Unintended weight loss
- Intestinal pains/cramping
- Diarrhea, constipation or both
- Depression and anxiety
- Nutrient deficiencies
- Weight loss
- Joint pain
SIBO risk factors
- Scarring/strictures in digestive system
- Digestive tract structural abnormalities
- Low stomach acid (especially in the aging population)
- PPIs [Nexium, Pantaloc], acid reducers [Zantac], antacid use
- Frequent use of antibiotics or steroids
- High stress lifestyle
- Motility problems
- Poor diet (high sugar, high carbohydrate)
- Enzyme & bile acid insufficiency/deficiencies
- Carbohydrate malabsorption/maldigestion
- Lactose, fructose, sugars, resistance starch
Conditions associated with SIBO
- Diabetes & pre-diabetes (insulin resistance)
- Liver or pancreas disease
- Celiac disease & IBS (30-80% have SIBO)
- Inflammatory bowel disease (Crohn’s and colitis)
- pylori infection
- Gallstones & gallbladder removal
- Compromised immunity (HIV, IgA deficiency, stress, functional deficiencies)
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Short bowel syndrome
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Chronic constipation
- Overweight & obesity
Partial success is not success; you can feel better.
Seeing a nutrition practitioner with experience in digestive and gut health, and SIBO, who also goes beyond just symptom management, is crucial to getting your gut issues under control, and on the road to healing. This is where integrative & functional nutrition can pick up the slack. Misinformation is everywhere. Many practitioners take clients only part way leaving them frustrated and no better off or worse, feeling even crappier.
Ask me how YOU can work towards improving your gut health today!
I am a practitioner who looks at the big picture; this is essential. Dietary changes are important for symptom management but taking an integrative & functional approach to healing will help you get the resolution you’re seeking. Your gut needs a comprehensive performance plan to over-come obstacles to health, address inflammation, support gut healing, digestion & absorption of nutrients while balancing your gut bacteria.
Work closely with me to start feeling better today – book an appointment below.
This service is right for you if:
- you struggle with gut-related symptoms which are affecting your daily life
- you no longer enjoy eating and/or are super restrictive with your food choices
- you’ve been bothered by your gut for a long time and are fed up
- you’ve tried to make changes yourself or been to other practitioners but are left wanting more
- you’ve been put on restrictive diets only to lose weight
- you’re ready to truly feel great and regain your health & gut freedom
Your first step to working with Doug on the path to healing is to purchase this program. Alternatively, you can start with a 20 minute discovery call where you can speak to Doug directly and discuss your goals.
This 3 month program includes:
- A discussion and review of your case where we will prioritize a “plan of attack” to start addressing your gut issues.
- From there, I will create a personalized action plan that includes addressing any conditions that might be contributing to, and/or that’s aggravated by your SIBO (IBS, diabetes, Celiac, autoimmune disease etc).
- Implementation of a treatment protocol that research has shown to be highly effective at treating SIBO, healing the gut, reducing permeability, improving gut-related symptoms, and reducing the risk for recurrence.
- Review of food & symptom journals, 3 support follow-up calls (about every 2 weeks), and email support throughout to help problem solve and to keep your healing on track.
- We will end with a discussion for your long term plan including considerations for follow-up and next steps.
Think you’re ready to take the next steps? Reflect on your health journey first with these questions:
Have questions before you book? Give me a shout for a ‘get to know/discovery’ call to discuss your goals.
Yes! I want to grab my free introductory call. Help me on the path to better health.
Gut Healing Program
A comprehensive performance plan to over-come your obstacles to health, improve your gut-related symptoms, treat SIBO, improve gut healing and balance your microbiome.
"...I did not know if I would find anyone who would understand my Celiac situation well enough. I was always sick after eating, feeling tired all the time and many symptoms. Now, I am far better than I was, I am still healing but am far better than I was before. I have a lot more confidence with what I can and can't eat, feel more energetic and no longer have problems of nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or stomach cramps"
"..you (Doug) gave very clear explanations as to what my problem was and what to do and had genuine concern for my health. The extremely quick responses to my emails, as well as the great support and understanding that I recieved - I would recommend Doug Cook to anyone!!! He is very clear and patient"
Lacy Armstrong. Director of Social Media Advanced Orthomolecular Research (www.aor.ca). Calgary, Alberta
“Doug has a knack for taking complex subjects and breaking them down into clear, easy-to-relate-to articles. He takes out the confusion and uncertainty and leaves you with straightforward, useful information that you can put to work in your life right away. It’s obvious how much he cares about his work and the people he’s supporting. I look forward to working with him again in the future!”
"… my homeopath sent me to Doug Cook. She said he was the very best. Doug, in a very calm, down-to-earth manner explained the conditions of my sentence and what could be done to reduce it - for the first time I saw a ray of hope.
He went above and beyond his duties explaining to me at every turn and at every blood test – in detail – what the results meant and what I needed to do thereafter. His knowledge is profound and he goes through great lengths to ensure that I stay on track.
I must tell you that the amazing results I have now – and I am not out of the woods yet – were all thanks to him. He was my cheerleader, my coach, my mentor and my dietitian all is one. Thanks Doug – thanks a million"
“you [Doug] have helped me more than any Doctor. By putting in place a few changes in my diet & using weights I feel for once in my life that everything has come together nicely. I cannot thank you enough”.
“Doug was recommended to me by a family member and his knowledge and support have been instrumental in helping me to understand the relationship between food and diabetes. Since contacting Doug, I have lost weight, maintained steady blood sugar and A1C levels and have felt much healthier and energetic overall. I would highly recommend Doug!”
Book a free consultation
Fill out the form below to book a FREE consultation with Doug!