HELP ME GET STARTED ON MY LOW CARB / KETO JOURNEY
‘I am READY to start working towards better health!’
Are you struggling with a health-related issue such as pre-diabetes, diabetes, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), or have been told you have a fatty liver or elevated triglycerides?
Have you tried to manage these by doing ‘all the right things’ such as eating lots of whole grains, fruit, low-fat milk, legumes, and using so-called healthy ‘vegetable’ oils or margarine but not getting the results you seek? Then LCHF or keto might be the answer you’re looking for.
I get it, it’s as confusing (not to mention frustrating) as hell. Perhaps you’ve heard about the keto diet that’s been gaining traction over the past few years? While low and lower-carb diets/eating are not new (it’s been successfully used therapeutically for almost 170 years in different forms), it’s now getting the recognition it deserves. Thing is, it can all be confusing right?
Maybe now’s the time and you want to learn more about low carb/high fat and keto eating? Do you want to give it a try but aren’t sure where to begin or are confused by all the misinformation online?
Ask me how to navigate the nutritional “minefield” out there and create a plan tailored to YOUR needs.
A LCHF or keto diet, once very controversial, is now recognized as a safe and effective dietary pattern. Despite the fear-mongering out there, with proper planning, a LCHF/keto diet can be healthy like any other diet which is why getting support from a nutrition professional is key. LCHF/keto diets are NOT necessarily low in fiber, nutrients, boring or restrictive.
I bet you’d be surprised to learn what you can include with a 50 g carb goal. And, depending on how active you are, it is possible to reap the benefits of a LCHF diet while still eating a decent amount of carbs. Did you know that it’s even possible to stay in ketosis while eating 50 to 100 g of carb per day if you’re a very active person!
To have better health you need to hit the reset button. There’s lots of good research showing how low carb/high fat (LCHF) and keto diets can do just that. LCHF eating can support weight loss, improve lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides), stabilize energy levels, improve insulin resistance, and manage diabetes. BUT, and it’s big BUT, a LCHF or ketogenic diet should not be considered without proper support. This is where people can run into trouble.
Also, there are certain health conditions where LCHF and keto diets can be tricky. There’s no shortage of health claims about these diets such as reversing diabetes, treating cancer and brain disorders such as epilepsy, seizures, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease.
Most people can safely follow a low-carb diet but for others, close supervision with medical professionals and a regulated nutrition professional is critical. Those with kidney disease, taking medications for diabetes or high blood pressure, or those breastfeeding for example need extra care and have special considerations.
To help you on your low carb/keto journey, you need the guidance of a professional who has solid education & training in the health sciences and clinical nutrition who is experienced. Most importantly, you need to connect with someone who understands your situation and whom you can trust; a practitioner who’s an excellent communicator and truly appreciates the role food, nutrition & proper supplement use has with LCHF/keto diets.
With proper guidance, a LCHF/keto diet can help with:
- Weight management
- Type 2 diabetes
- Pre-diabetes/insulin resistance (“metabolic syndrome”)
- High blood pressure
- Chronic inflammation
- Dyslipidemia (low HDL, high triglycerides)
- Fatty liver
- Central adiposity (belly fat)
- PCOS (polycystic kidney syndrome)
- Skin disorders such as acne
Even the American Diabetes Association now recognizes and recommends low carb diets as an option for managing blood sugar in those with pre-diabetes (pronounced insulin resistance) diabetes. Given this, LCHF eating is here to stay.
Work closely with Doug Cook RDN to start feeling better today – book an appointment below. Have questions before you book? Contact Doug Cook RD for a ‘get to know’ call to discuss your goals.
This service is for you if:
- you’re truly ready to take your health to the next level
- you aspire for GOOD health – just ‘getting by’ is no longer cutting it for you
- you’re overwhelmed by all the low carb and keto chatter and are looking for help that is backed by scientific research.
- you want to improve your health and are looking for someone to walk you through the confusion with easy to understand guidance
Your first step to working with Doug on the path to healing is the Case Review. It includes a full assessment & evaluation to determine your current state of health. Doug will design a comprehensive performance plan to help you achieve your goals. Alternatively, you can start with a free 15-minute discovery call where you can speak to Doug directly and discuss your goals.
Consider adding genetic nutrition testing to the program for more personalized nutrition advice. AOR Canada’s groundbreaking My Blueprint is a DNA-based Nutrition and Lifestyle Report that uses cutting-edge technology to identify your unique genetic variations. The information in the test provides 84 SNPs, 65 genes, 41 Clinical endpoints, and 8 key health categories. Check out the My Blueprint_Sample Report to learn more and click on the image below to purchase this add-on product.
This 4-month program includes:
- A discussion and review of your case where we will prioritize a “plan of attack” to start you on the road to better health.
- From there, I will create a personalized action plan that will help you transition to LCHF / keto eating that suits your goals: you can transition quickly or at a more moderate pace – you decide!
- Implementation of a protocol that will lay the foundation of healthy low carb eating ensuring you’re getting the nutrition you need to improve your current and long term health.
- Review of food & symptom journals, 3 support follow-up calls (about every 3 weeks), and email support throughout to help problem solve and to keep your healing on track.
- We will end with a discussion for your long term plan including considerations for follow-up and next steps.
Think you’re ready to take the next steps? Reflect on your health journey with these questions:
Have questions before you book? Contact Doug Cook RD for a ‘get to know’ call to discuss your goals.
Yes! I want to grab my free discovery call. Help me on the path to better health!