Zucchini 'Fettuccine' with Fresh Marinara
Prep Time 15 minutes
- 1.5 lb. / 683g plum tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup / 250ml packed fresh basil leaves chopped, plus
- sprigs for garnish
- 1/3 cup / 80 ml dry-packed sun-dried tomatoes softened
- in warm water and chopped
- 1/4 cup / 62ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot minced
- Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 oz. / 228g mixed summer squash green and yellow,
- ends trimmed
- 1 orange bell pepper halved and seeded
- 8 oz. / 228g mozzarella diced
- 1 cup / 250ml chopped walnuts
- Grated regular or soy Parmesan cheese for
- garnish optional
- 6 basil sprigs for garnish optional
Put tomatoes, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, 3 Tbs. oil, shallot, dash of salt and several grinds of pepper into food processor, and process until sauce resembles finely textured salsa.
Pare squash lengthwise on 4 sides into paper-thin slices, about 1-inch wide, using sharp vegetable peeler. Discard soft centers, or save for another use. Stack slices, and cut into 1/4-inch-wide "fettuccine" strips. Cut bell pepper into paper-thin strips.
Put "fettuccine" into bowl with mozzarella, walnuts, remaining 1 Tbs. oil and salt to taste; toss gently. Pour sauce into 6 shallow bowls, and top with "fettuccine" mixture. Grind fresh pepper over each and, if using, top with Parmesan cheese and basil sprigs. Serve.
Source: Vegetarian Times