If you love blueberry muffins, then you are certainly going to want to add this smoothie to your morning routine. It’s like a blueberry muffin in a glass. One of the many amazing recipes from my book 175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet.
Full of fiber and protein, this smoothie will not only provide bone-nourishing minerals like calcium, magnesium and phosphorus, it will help to keep your appetite in check while providing anticancer phytonutrients such as polyphenols and lignans. The fiber from the flax seeds (or chia if you choose) and the banana are a source of gut-friendly prebiotics which help to encourage the growth of healthy gut bacteria.
Of course, bananas are a good source of potassium, but so is the yogurt. Potassium helps to regulate your heartbeat, lowering and maintain a healthy blood pressure and is needed to nerve transmission; impulses that our brain and nervous system use to allow the body to function and conduct its daily business.
Blueberry Muffin Smoothie
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup 250 ml blueberries
- 2/3 cup 150 ml of Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup 125 ml large-flake (old-fashioned) rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp 15 ml of ground flax seeds (flax seed meal) or ground chia seeds
- 2 tsp 10 ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp 5 ml pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup 250 ml of unsweetened almond milk
Use Tall Cup
In a NutriBullet, MagicBullet, or blender add banana, blueberries, yogurt, oats, flax seeds, lemon juice and vanilla. If using a NutriBullet etc, add almond milk to the "Max line", if using a regular blender, use about 1 cup of almond milk. Twist the extractor blade onto the cup to seal. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
Regardless of appliance being used, you can of course thin your smoothie with a little extra water
OPTIONAL NUTRITION BOOSTS & SWAPS
- Add 1 Tbsp (15 ml) wheat germ after the flax seeds
- Use 1 Tbsp (15 ml) of whole chia seeds instead of flax seeds
- Add 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of whey protein powder for extra 'umph'
- Add 1 tsp (5 ml) of your favourite greens powder (note, the colour of the smoothie will change)
- Add 1 cup (250 ml) of fresh spinach
175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet will be available in Chapters and Indigo in Canada, and Barnes & Noble in the US, and will be available in Costco too. Of course you can also order it on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com today!!