This zesty faux-feta vinaigrette is perfect for drizzling over tomatoes, greens or chickpeas. As a good source of vitamins B2 and E, copper and manganese, this dressing supports healthy mood and cognition and is a source of antioxidants. One of the many amazing recipes from my book 175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet
Greek-Inspired Almond "Feta" Vinaigrette
- 1/2 cup whole unsalted raw almonds blanched (see tip, at left) 125 mL
- 2 tbsp lemon juice 30 mL
- 1-1/2 tbsp sunflower seed oil 22 mL
- 1 clove garlic 1
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt 3 mL
- 1/2 cup sunflower seed oil 125 mL
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar 50 mL
- 2 lemons juice of 2
- 3 cloves garlic 3
- 4 fresh basil leaves 4
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves 10 mL
- 2 tsp fresh oregano 10 mL
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves 5 mL
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Add almonds, lemon juice, oil, garlic and 1/4 cup (50 mL) cold water to the small cup. Twist the extractor blade onto the cup to seal. Turn the cup upside down and press and turn cup into the power base for 30 seconds, or until smooth.
Remove the cup from the power base and twist off the extractor blade. Spoon mixture into prepared strainer.
Pull edges of cheesecloth up and twist around cheese to form a ball, squeezing gently to remove moisture, and tie with a string. Return ball to strainer and place strainer over bowl; refrigerate for 12 hours.
Remove feta from cheesecloth and add to the tall cup. Add oil, vinegar, lemon, garlic, basil, thyme, oregano and rosemary on top of the feta. Season with salt and pepper.
Twist the extractor blade onto the cup to seal. Turn the cup upside down and press and turn cup into the power base for 20 seconds, or until blended.
Remove the cup from the power base and twist off the extractor blade. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour dressing into a glass container and use immediately or refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- To blanch almonds, place them in a small bowl and cover with 3 inches (7.5 cm) cold water. Let stand at room temperature for 24 hours. Drain and discard liquid. Rinse almonds under cold water and drain.
- To make the Almond Feta slightly crumbly, after step 2, preheat oven to 200° F (100° C). Add cheese to a parchment lined baking sheet. Spread cheese into a 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick sphere. Bake for 40 minutes or until slightly firm. Let cool and then refrigerate until chilled through. Cheese can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
- You can double the Almond Feta recipe and use half in the vinaigrette and the remaining half as crumbles or a spread after baking.
Optional Nutrition Boost
2 tsp (10 mL) chia seeds (add in step 3)
175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet will be available in Chapters and Indigo in Canada, and Barnes & Noble in the US. Of course you can also order it on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com today!!