Flax seeds have been part of the human diet for thousands of years. They’ve been part of the ‘health food’ movement that sprung up in the 1970s.
In the era of ‘superfoods’, flax seed producers jumped on the bandwagon and flax seeds has enjoyed a renaissance. They’ve always been very nutritious, so their superfood status isn’t new, it’s just gained new awareness.
Flax seed nutrition
Flax seeds are loaded with nutrients. A 2 Tbsp (14 g) serving has:
- 74 calories
- 2.6 g protein
- 4 g fiber (including prebiotic fiber).
- 6 g fat
- 3.2 g alpha-linolenic acid (plant form of omega-3)
- Smattering of B vitamins & minerals
Flax seeds are so awesome, they’re one of the three main ingredients in Red River Cereal too.
Stevia and erythritol
I like to use SPLENDA Stevia No Calorie Sweetener if I want to keep the sugar down but still want a hint of sweetness. Let’s face it, flaxseed bread is going to taste a tad bland. I am not anti sucralose myself as a way to cut sugar, but I understand why some may want to stay away from artificial sweeteners.
The SPLENDA stevia product IS sucralose free and uses a better-tasting version of natural stevia and erythritol. Erythritol is a sugar alcohol but unlike sorbitol, manntiol and other sugar alcohols, erythritol is gut-friendly.
This is a hearty recipe for sure. Flax seed nutrition at its best; concentrated in every bite. It’s not unlike the Red River Blueberry Muffins or the Red River, Bran & Rolled Oats Muffins. Whether it’s the flaxseed bread or flax seed-containing Red River muffins, they’ll give you energy that lasts all morning.
- 2 cups ground flax seed Buy in vacuum sealed package to save time
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 Tbsp SPLENDA Stevia No Calorie Sweetener
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1/3 cup coconut oil Or use high oleic acid safflower oil
- 1/2 cup milk Or use cream for extra moisture
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract Alternatively, you can use orange extract
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F or 177 C
2. Mix the ground flax seeds,baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and stevia powder together in a medium mixing bowl
3. Add eggs, add oil, and milk, and vanilla extract to a small mixing bowl, beat until blended.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, mix until blended. Add sunflower seeds. Pour into a greased loaf pan and baked for about 30 mins or until a knife/toothpick test is clean.
- This recipe can also be made into muffins; divide batter into muffin tin and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes.