Not your typical pesto. Have you ever tried walnuts in your pesto? This gives traditional pesto a flare for the unusual. Walnuts are a great source of vitamin E and the plant form of the omega-3 fatty acid alpha-linoleic acid. Walnuts provide a depth of flavour that you’re sure to enjoy.
Make some soon!
Basil Walnut Pesto
- 2 cups 500 ml packed basil leaves (about 2 oz)
- 1/3 cup 80 ml olive oil
- 1/2 cup 125 ml chopped walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 1/2 cup 125 ml grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp 30 ml softened butter (optional)
- 1/2 tsp 2.5 ml salt
Place basil, olive oil, walnuts, garlic and salt in a food processor
Blend until thoroughly combined
Add Parmesan and butter and blend 5 to 10 seconds more
Just before serving, add 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of hot pasta water from cooked pasta
Add to cooked pasta and toss