If you love tomatoes, and the creaminess of coconut for that matter too, then you’re certainly going to want to add this soup to your recipe repertoire. One of the many amazing recipes from my book 175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet.
What’s not to love about tomatoes? They’re full of awesome nutrients with research-proven, health promoting properties as part of a diet based on nutrient-dense whole foods. As part of a healthy diet, tomatoes can help to up your nutritional bank account with nutrients that have been shown to benefit many common health concerns; what are you waiting for?!
Key nutrients: beta carotene, lycopene, fiber, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C, vitamin B1/thiamin, vitamin B3/niacin
Health-promoting properties: Supports gut health, gut bacteria, and promotes regularity and lowers homocysteine. Aids in the production of red bloods and supports immunity. Lowers and maintains healthy blood pressure, and red blood cell production. Antihistamine and reduces vascular damage and LDL cholesterol oxidation. Converts food into energy Potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory carotenoid, lycopene, to red fruits and vegetables such as tomato, pink guava and grapefruit, and watermelon that concentrates in the liver, blood, lungs, prostate, colon cells, and skin supporting their health. Supports bone and teeth development.
Check out my post: 9 Foods that Lower Blood Pressure Naturally
Health conditions that benefit: Lowers the risk for chronic diseases associate with increased oxidation and inflammation such as CVD, dementia, diabetes, depression, Alzheimer’s, breast and prostate cancer, accelerated skin aging, and osteoporosis. Supports gut health, provides neuroprotection and therefore may improve mood and lower symptoms of depression, lowers blood pressure, and promotes regularity and helps to prevent constipation.
Creamy Tomato Coconut Soup
As the slogan goes, mm mm good, and this creamy tomato soup will make you feel even better with its homemade mm mm nutritious ingredients. Key nutrients in this soup help to maintain healthy blood pressure, lower inflammation, support healthy moods and collagen production and skin health.
Makes 4 servings
Use extra tall cup
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut butter
- 1/4 onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) tomato paste
- 1, 28 oz (796 ml) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth 500 mL
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fresh basil chiffonade, divided (see tip* below)
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (250 ml) full fat coconut milk
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Tip*: To chiffonade basil, remove the stems and stack 10 or more leaves. Roll the leaves up lengthwise into a fairly tight spiral, then cut crosswise into thin strips. Fluff the strips.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the coconut butter and heat until bubbly. Add the onion and cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, 1 minute or until fragrant. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly caramelized. Add the tomatoes, broth, 2 tbsp (30 mL) basil and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until slightly thickened and liquid is reduced by one-quarter. Let cool.
- Add tomato mixture to the extra tall cup, working in batches if necessary. Twist the extractor blade onto the cup to seal. Turn the cup upside down and press and turn cup into the power base for 20 seconds, or until smooth.
- Remove the cup from the power base and twist off the extractor blade. Return mixture to the skillet and coconut milk. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon into serving bowls. Garnish with remaining basil.
175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet will be available in Chapters and Indigo in Canada, and Barnes & Noble in the US, and will be available in Costco Canada too. Of course you can also order it on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com today!!