For all of you chocolate lovers, here is a healthy, mouth-watering smoothie bowl with berries, bananas, greens and of course – chocolate. One of the many amazing recipes from my book 175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet.
This recipe has a lot of great ingredients such as fresh spinach, banana, blackberries, cacao powder, chicory root and nutritional powerhouse garnishes like chia seeds, goji berries, cacao nibs and almonds. It’s loaded with nutrients that will benefit you from head to toe; nourishing the brain, cardiovascular system and digestive tract while pleasing your taste buds as well; in a word d-e-l-i-c-i-o-u-s!
Some of the ingredient highlights are:
Key nutrients: calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, beta carotene, folate, flavonols, lutein and zeaxanthin, vitamin K1, chlorophyll
Health-promoting properties: Lowers and maintains healthy homocysteine levels and blood pressure and supports overall healthy gene expression, and cell division. Supports insulin metabolism, healthy blood sugar and lipid (cholesterol and triglycerides) levels. Provides broad antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection and helps to maintain bone tissue and teeth, while ensuring appropriate blood clotting for wound repair. Helps to bind various carcinogens such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) found in cigarette smoke, heterocyclic amines found in cooked meats, and aflatoxin, a toxin known to cause cancer produced by certain molds that can grow on improperly stored foods like cassava, chili peppers, corn, millet, rice, peanuts, sunflower seeds and other tree nuts; providing overall general risk reduction.
Health conditions that benefit: Any health condition where significant inflammation and oxidative damage can occur such as macular degeneration, cataracts, diabetes, dementia, CVD, and possibly autoimmune diseases like rheumatoid arthritis and asthma, and reduces the risk for their development. Supports healthy skin and lowers high blood pressure. Supports fetal development and a healthy pregnancy, as well as, preventing, and supporting the treatment of, iron deficiency and osteoporosis.
Key nutrients: fiber, potassium, beta carotene, flavan-3-ols (epicatechin), flavonols (quercetin), proanthocyanidins
Health-promoting properties: Promotes the growth of healthy gut bacteria (microbiota) and regularity therefore supporting natural detoxification, helps to promote satiety or a sense of fullness after eating. Support healthy nerve function, heartbeat and lowers blood pressure, and has broad antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties including regulating gene expression, and chelate (bind) excess metal ions like iron and copper to prevent free radical damage which can reduce the risk for cancer. Helps to lower and balance blood sugar, cholesterol and triglycerides, and protects blood vessels from damage.
Health conditions that benefit: Helps to prevent and treat constipation and hemorrhoids, helps to manage dyslipidemia (elevated LDL cholesterol and triglycerides), metabolic syndrome, and blood sugar levels. Can help to control appetite, achieve and maintain a healthy body weight and manage overweight and obesity. Reduces the risk for osteomalacia and osteoporosis May benefit health conditions that have underlying inflammation such as CVD, diabetes, dementia, asthma, and arthritis. Supports fetal development and a healthy pregnancy.
Cacao powder or nibs
Key nutrients: polyphenols, magnesium, fiber, iron
Health-promoting properties: Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, positively influence gene expression and support communication between cells. Supports healthy blood sugar balance and insulin metabolism, lowers and maintains healthy blood pressure, promotes satiety and regularity and supports gut health. Helps to prevent fatigue, iron deficiency and supports healthy red blood cell production,
Health conditions that benefit: Diseases with underlying inflammation and increased oxidation such as CVD, diabetes, depression, asthma, lupus, and arthritis. Benefits high blood pressure and disease risk due to high blood pressure such as kidney disease and stroke. Pre-diabetes and diabetes, and osteoporosis. Helps to prevent constipation and iron-deficiency anemia.
Chocolate, Blackberry, & Banana Superfood Smoothie Bowl
Makes 1 Serving
Use the tall cup
- 1 cup (250 ml) lightly packed spinach
- 1 frozen banana, halved
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) frozen blackberries
- 2 tbsp (15 ml) chocolate whey protein powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cacao powder (raw is best, add more for a more intense chocolate flavour)
- 2 tsp (10 ml) roasted chicory root granules
- 2 tsp (10 ml) granulated sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 fresh banana, peeled
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) fresh or canned pineapple chunks, drained
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cacao nibs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) goji berries
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chia seeds
- Add spinach, frozen banana, blackberries, protein powder, cacao powder, chicory root and almond milk to the tall cup. Twist the extractor blade onto the cup to seal. Turn the cup upside down and press and turn cup into the power base for 30 seconds, or until thick and smooth. If smoothie is too thick, add additional almond milk in small amounts and blend until desired consistency.
- Remove cup from base. Twist off the extractor blade. Using a silicone spatula, transfer the smoothie to a bowl.
- Cut fresh banana into slices. Arrange bananas, pineapple, almonds, coconut flakes, goji berries and chia seeds on the top of the smoothie.
- The base smoothie portion of a smoothie bowl is meant to be thick, almost pudding like, in order to support the toppings. You may need to remove the cup from the cup from the base and shake it or tap it to mix ingredients and then return the cup to the power base for more extraction time.
- Smoothie bowls are meant to have a colorful and festive patterned top. So enjoy yourself arranging the topping to make any pretty or mouth-watering patter of your choosing.
175 Best Superfood Blender Recipes Using Your NutriBullet will be available in Chapters and Indigo in Canada, and Barnes & Noble in the US, and will be available in Costco Canada too. Of course you can also order it on Amazon.ca or Amazon.com today!!