Photo credit: Jamie Vespa
Nothing says autumn like pumpkin and no, I’m not talking about pumpkin spice – to each their own I guess. This vegan chili boasts the best of autumn by blending the quintessential fall vegetable pumpkin with sweet potato and tomato which is rounded out with a little sweetness from cinnamon and the kick of chipotle chili powder – and what a kick, simply divine. Be sure to have plain Greek yogurt on hand for the perfect cooling counterpart to the heat.
I didn’t have any pumpkin beer on hand but opted for a honey brown lager which worked just fine. Pumpkin & sweet potato are rich in carotenoids such as beta & alpha carotene which can be converted somewhat y the body to vitamin A and are both are potent antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce the risk for several cancers and cardiovascular disease. Rich in potassium, these vegetables can be part of a blood pressure-lowering dietary strategy – pretty amazing – truly a great example of “food as medicine”.
How to Make It
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 (serving size 1 cup / 250 ml)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups peeled & diced sweet potato (about 1 large sweet potato)
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 (12 oz) pumpkin beer
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a Dutch over medium heat. Add onion; cook 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Add next 7 ingredients (garlic through cinnamon), stir, and cook 3-4 minutes.
- Pour in beer, stir and scrap any bits off the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to medium heat and simmer for 30-35 minutes, stirring often to prevent burning, until sweet potato is tender.
Recipe source & photo credit: Cooking Light